Nicosia municipality announced on Thursday that traffic around the old town will be disrupted over the weekend as crews pour around 3,000 cubic metres of concrete as part of the construction of the new Eleftheria Square.
According to an announcement, work will start in the early morning hours of Sunday and is expected to be completed over 24 hours.
The operation will be carried out provided the weather is good, the municipality said.
Special traffic arrangements will take effect on Saturday morning and will remain in place until the work is finished.
The municipality said Constantinos Paleologos and Costakis Pantelidis Streets will be closed from 8pm on Saturday while Omirou Avenue –from the Solomos Square junction to Evagorou Avenue will shut down at 11 pm.
Thermopylon Street will be closed for traffic between 1am and 11am on Sunday.
– Parking along Constantinos Paleologos and Costakis Pantelidis will not be allowed from 5pm onwards on Saturday
– The above roads will be closed on 8pm. The stairs from the municipal parking in the Davila Moat to Paleologos will also be closed.
– The parking facility in Davila will remain open and motorists using it can use the access stairs on Doros Loizos bridge (OXI)
– The south pavement on Omirou Avenue – from Solomou Squire to Evagorou – will remain open.
– The temporary bridge linking Stasinou Avenue with the town hall will close on Saturday at 8pm until the work is completed. The public can access the old town through Solomou Square, and Doros Loizos bridge.
– The municipality’s public service office will be open on Sunday from 9.30am and can be reached on 22797007
– The area surrounding the square will not be accessible to the public but the municipality said people can watch the work from the CDA College cafeteria across the road. The venue will open at 9am on Sunday.