The supply of power to the Turkish Cypriot community continued on Monday following a request on New Year’s Day.
The director of the transmission system operator at the EAC said Turkish Cypriots asked for assistance at around 5 pm on Friday following a malfunction in one of their units.
“The supply started immediately and ranged between five and 20MW,” Christos Christodoulides said.
It has continued since, ranging between five and 15MW on Monday.
The decision to link the two grids was taken in May as part of a series of measures to build confidence between the Greek and Turkish Cypriot communities.
The two communities however, had co-operated in this area twice in the past, in 2006 and most recently in 2011.
This last time was in the wake of naval base explosion in July 2011, which incapacitated the Republic’s biggest power station.
In the aftermath the government sought assistance from Turkish Cypriots as it struggled to deal with rolling power cuts.
They were later disconnected as there was no protection from overloads.
It was the other way round in 2006, when Turkish Cypriots experienced problems with production.
However, on these previous occasions time the grids had been hastily connected. Now, they were upgraded and safer.
EAC spokesperson, Christina Papadopoulou Theophanidou, said that the Turkish Cypriots would pay for the electricity.
In statements to CNA, she said all the necessary calculations would be made.
“They will be charged with the sum of fixed and variable costs, such as the cost of fuel, just like all the EAC customers. The EAC will be paid, and charges will be made in consultation with the Turkish Cypriots and with the consent of the Cyprus Energy Regulatory Authority (CERA),” she said.
The chairman of the electricity authority in the north Ismet Akim said that the payment details had not yet been discussed, but there would definitely be a payment.