Eleven cases of H1N1 flu have been recorded in the Republic since the beginning of January, health authorities said on Tuesday, as they stressed that there was no cause for concern.
“We have incidents concerning various types of flu viruses, one of them is H1N1,” health ministry spokesman Charalambos Charilaou told the state broadcaster.
Since the beginning of January, there have been 11 cases – four were treated and have since returned home while seven were being treated in hospitals – four, including a serious case, were in private facilities.
The serious case concerned a 77-year-old man whose condition was slowly improving, according to Charilaou.
“What we want to say is that these cases are expected and will not be eliminated,” he said.
The ministry spokesman added that the cases were linked to other underlying health problems.
“We will have a lot of cases along the way. Winter has just started and these cases are expected. They are within normal levels in relation with previous years,” he said.
On Monday, a 52-year-old woman lost her life to the H1N1 virus in the occupied areas.
The woman had been admitted to the intensive care unit of the Near East University hospital on January 11.
In the occupied areas, 23 people, among them 10 children, have contracted the virus, colloquially referred to as ‘swine flu’, to date.
Most patients were treated and discharged.
H1N1 caused a global pandemic in 2009. It is currently a regular flu virus that circulates worldwide.