In the coming days, President Nicos Anastasiades is to take some decisions on how the National Council operates, and whether he will still hand over negotiations documents to the party leaders, CyBC reported on Saturday.
Citing Government Spokesman Nicos Christodoulides, CyBC said Anastasiades was very concerned over the leak of a document he had distributed at the last council meeting earlier this month. It appeared on two online media outlets within hours of being handed out.
Christodoulides said, according to CyBC, the option was still available to the party leaders to examine the negotiations documents at the presidential palace.
Under this practice, they cannot take notes or photograph the papers. But Christodoulides said this did not prevent them from studying the documents.
He also said the chief negotiator, Andreas Mavroyiannis was also at their disposal.
DIKO leader Nicolas Papadopoulos responded by saying the Cyprus issue was not a matter only for the president or the leaders of the two biggest parties but all the people of Cyprus.
Speaking in Limassol, Papadopoulos, referring to the document leaks and those at the palace said
“some people do not want to discuss the substance of the proposals contained in these documents”.
The documents, he added, belong to the Cypriot people “and must be given to the people of Cyprus”.
“There must be transparency,” he added, suggesting the president was afraid to inform the people about the content of the negotiations.