Cyprus Mail
Main

At least one dies as building collapses at former UK power plant

Part of a collapsed building is illuminated by the emergency services as they work at the decommissioned Didcot A power station in central England

At least one person was killed and three others were missing after a building collapsed on Tuesday at a disused British power plant, the local fire service said.

The incident occurred at the RWE npower Didcot A power plant, around 113 km west of London. The plant closed in 2013 and was in the process of being demolished.

“I can confirm search operations are in progress and that there has been one fatality, five persons have been taken to hospital and three persons are currently missing,” Oxfordshire Fire Service Area Manager Mat Carlile said in a statement.

Residents told local media there had been a large rumble, prompting reports there had been an explosion. Television pictures showed half a large building at the site appeared to have collapsed.

However, emergency services said they were treating the incident as a building collapse and although dust had spread over a considerable area, there had been no hazardous materials inside.

“There has been an incident at our former Didcot A Power Station site,” RWE npower said in a statement. “The site is currently being demolished. We are working with our contractors Coleman and Company to establish the facts.”

Didcot A, a dual-fired power station which could produce enough power for 2 million households, closed down in 2013 after 43 years of operation.

In 2014, a fire broke out at Didcot B, an operational gas-fired power plant on the same site. No one was hurt but one of two power generation units had to be taken offline.

Related Posts

Moldova accuses Russia of energy blackmail, ‘ready for any scenario’

Reuters News Service

Daily News Briefing

Staff Reporter

Ukraine vows to repair shattered rail network to reconnect retaken towns

Reuters News Service

Why some Iranians want their own country banned from World Cup

Reuters News Service

Brazil’s Bolsonaro avoids concession to Lula, but transition to begin

Reuters News Service

Cyprus Business Now

Kyriacos Nicolaou

1 comment

Comments are closed.