Cyprus Mail
Euro 2016

Euro 2016 games could be played in empty stadiums

Three suicide bombers blew themselves up outside the Stade de France - venue for the Euro 2016 opening match and final - where France were playing Germany in the November 13 terror attacks

Matches at this year’s European football championship in France could be moved or played in empty stadiums if security services considered there was the danger of an attack, a UEFA official was quoted as saying on Wednesday.

Martin Kallen, tournament director for Euro 2016, which will be staged across France from June 10-July 10, told Germany’s Sport Bild magazine that organisers and French security services had been working together to discuss options in the case of a perceived threat.

Security concerns have mounted in the wake of the November 13 Paris attacks when Islamist militants killed 130 people in bars, restaurants and a concert hall in and around the capital.

Three suicide bombers also blew themselves up outside the Stade de France – venue for the Euro 2016 opening match and final – where France were playing Germany in a friendly international match.

Kallen said Euro 2016 games could be moved at short notice bringing in the scenario of playing without any fans present “because the spectators who have tickets for the match in question wouldn’t have enough time to organise travel and a hotel room.

“Safety and staging the tournament takes priority over everything else,” he told the weekly sports magazine.



Related posts

Real Madrid players agree to 10-20% wage cut

Ben Stokes named Wisden cricketer of the year

Press Association

Mourinho accepts one-on-one training session was wrong

Press Association

Ronaldinho leaves prison for luxury hotel arrest in Paraguay

Reuters News Service

FIFA recommends extending contracts, will allow transfer windows to move

Greaves awaiting outcome of tests after night in hospital

Press Association

1 comment

Comments are closed.