EDEK leader Marinos Sizopoulos turned his ire towards Turkish Cypriot leader Mustafa Akinci during a dinner in London on Saturday night, according to a report by the Cyprus News Agency on Sunday.
Akinci, after his meeting with President Nicos Anastasiades on Friday accused Sizopoulos of trying to undermine the talks, following his publicising of parts of the minutes of a National Council meeting outlining where the leaders had agreed in some areas.
The Turkish Cypriot leader expressed his commitment to keep the effort going, and added that the effort for a successful conclusion would continue without being influenced by negative developments away from the negotiating table. “I am sure you understand why I say this,” Akinci said.
“In the Greek Cypriot side, the latest statements by EDEK leader Marinos Sizopoulos do not contribute to the ongoing negotiations.” “Why Mr Sizopoulos acted this way is understandable,” Akinci said. “This is a party that has denounced the bizonal, bicommunal federation.” He said none of the ‘MPs’ in the north would have done what the EDEK leader had, which was an attempt to undermine Anastasiades and his party, as well as the parties that supported a settlement, in the upcoming election parliamentary elections.
But Sizopoulos remains unrepentant and has pledged to reveal whatever he feels is necessary to keep the public informed, he told members of the Diaspora in London.
Referring to the Turkish Cypriot leader’s comments, Sizopoulos said: “Thank you Mr. Akinci for your statements yesterday where you essentially confirmed the correctness and objectivity of what I said last Wednesday.”
Sizopoulos said Akinci had confirmed that post-settlement there would be four categories of citizen in Cyprus. “This confirms that all the people of Cyprus will not have the same civil and human rights. In which democratic country, what federation, and in which EU member state does this apply?” he said.Sizopoulos said it was also clear that Akinci has hardened his positions of late.
He said he would continue to inform the public “responsibly and objectively” because they needed to know, and it had nothing to do with scoring election points, he added.
“We need the people to know the content of the solution so they have the time to study it. People will be constantly updated, at least on what has been agreed. Otherwise I fear that there will be some attempt to reach agreement behind the backs of the people. The experience of 2004 should not be repeated,” he added referring to the Annan plan, which had been agreed in March 2004 for a referendum a month later.
Currently, he said the country was being sold out by Anastasiades and no one was reacting because it was being hidden from them.