President Nicos Anastasiades’ meeting with the board of the Electricity Authority of Cyprus (EAC) on Monday was a first step towards the implementation of the cabinet’s decision to unbundle the utility, Energy Minister Giorgos Lakkotrypis said.
The meeting, which took place earlier in the day, is part of Anastasiades’ initiative to talk EAC unions out of the strike they announced last week for April 6, which is to involve all personnel and could affect power supply.
Unions oppose the government’s plan to split the utility into two separate legal entities, one in charge of production and supply, and one in charge of transmission and distribution, as they fear that the split will bring the EAC closer to being privatised, despite the fact the government has ruled out this possibility.
Lakkotrypis, who was present during the meeting, was quoted by state broadcaster CyBC as saying that based on the cabinet decision on the EAC, a plan must be submitted, for the materialisation of all the decision entails, and to define the future of the EAC.
He added that the president is to meet with the heads of the EAC unions on Wednesday.
“The president assumed an initiative and we should let it unfold and wait for the results,” Lakkotrypis said.