Cyprus Mail
Cyprus

Hijacker extradition hearing postponed

File photo: Mustafa being taken to court in Larnaca

A COURT hearing the request to extradite an Egyptian man who hijacked a domestic Egyptair flight and forced it to divert to Larnaca, gave the state until May 13 to present its case.

The state asked for the extension to give time for additional information requested from Egypt to arrive.

Seif Eldin Mustafa, 59, appeared in court in jeans and an unbuttoned light-blue shirt, which revealed a white t-shirt with the hand-written slogan “cici killer” and the palm of a hand drawn on it.

It is understood that this was a reference to Egyptian President Abdel Fattah el-Sisi.

Egypt has asked for the 59-year-old’s extradition in connection with the March 29 hijacking.

It proved later that Mustafa hijacked the flight using a fake suicide belt he threatened to detonate in a bid to force the pilot to divert to Turkey, Greece or Larnaca.

Earlier this month, Mustafa formally applied for political asylum.

Cyprus does not extradite suspects to countries where they may face the death penalty.

His lawyer, Rovertos Vrahimis, said that based on his information, Egypt did not impose the death penalty for hijackings.



Related posts

Larnaca buses threaten strike over new transport contracts

Nick Theodoulou

Police deny dragging feet amid latest explosive match-fixing claims

George Psyllides

Defence minister denies reports of US bases in Cyprus

Jean Christou

Minister to look at ways to promote Lefkara lace

Staff Reporter

Taxpayer may have to return EU’s halloumi promotion funds

Evie Andreou

One million Akamas visits per year does not include tourists, Kadis says

Annette Chrysostomou

4 comments

Comments are closed.