The charred body of an elderly man was found at an apartment building in Ayios Dhometios in Nicosia on Sunday morning,
According to the report, at around 9.40am, police and fire services were alerted to a house fire.
Two fire trucks went to the scene. The fire had broken out in a first-floor of the three-storey building.
When they entered the apartment firemen found the charred remains of the occupant, a 90-year-old man, identified as Nicolas Evripidou in an armchair.
Police do not suspect foul play, CNA reported.
The pensioner’s grandson, 30, had been sleeping over at the apartment but was not alerted to the blaze until woken up by the shouting of his granddad’s neighbours and managed to get out of the apartment without injury.
According to reports, the initial cause of the fire appeared to be a cigarette butt but the exact cause will be determined after an investigation.