A 23-year-old man in Limassol was the only person to have sustained any injuries from a firecracker this year, police spokesman Andreas Angelides said on Monday.
Hailing the figure as a successful result of a police campaign that saw 334 lectures across schools and organised bodies in one month alone, Angelides specified the injuries – which were to the young man’s stomach and legs – were not serious.
In fact, not only is this a fall from last year’s nine injuries compared to previous years which saw up to 20 people sustain injuries from firecrackers, police were pleased with the added bonus that there were fewer firecrackers found and confiscated.
According to Angelides, orders had come right from the chief himself who wanted to avoid unfortunate events seen in the past.
Last year, 190,000 firecrackers had been confiscated and although the spokesman did not specify how many were confiscated this year, it was a far smaller figure he said.
The multifaceted campaign according to Angelides, involved police officers, explosives specialists, community leaders and the fire services.
“In one month there were 334 lectures in schools and organised bodies concerning the risks that exist, aiming to concern people and encourage critical thinking.”
Additionally, programmes on TV, radio, online and police social media aimed to send a message to the public warning on the dangers of firecrackers.
This year, Angelides said there was also a positive response from the public who would tip off police and ask for more information.
“It seems as though people’s mentality that existed till today has changed.”
Although there were several calls to police in regards to the bonfires, the problems that were seen in previous years were not evident this Easter.
The results of the campaign will be evaluated for next year’s betterment.