Head of migrant support group KISA, Doros Polykarpou was one of the two men taking photographs inside of the Oroklini home of the 41-year-old Egyptian man who was killed by police gunfire over the weekend, he told the Cyprus Mail on Wednesday.
Police earlier in the day said that on Tuesday night, two men, one from Nicosia aged 54 and one from Egypt, aged 40, were seen trying to enter the ground-floor apartment through the windows.
At about 8pm officers arrived at the scene and arrested them on the spot. The trespassers told police that they had broken into the home to take photographs.
Polykarpou however denied they were ever arrested or had broken in.
“We were waiting for one of the neighbours to come back home so we could talk and the windows were open. I’m a curious person I admit it so I went in.”
He claims he had been the only one to enter the apartment while the Egyptian man waited outside.
“Police didn’t arrest us. They saw us there but I myself said I would go with them to the station and give a statement.”
The flat, according to Polykarpou was absolutely bare and there was no case of trespassing on a crime scene or affecting evidence.
Speaking to people that knew the 41-year-old Egyptian, who was shot by police in the early hours of Saturday morning after a 12-hour standoff with police when he had taken his 16-month-old son hostage, Polykarpou said he heard the man obsessively loved his son and would never want to hurt him.
He had allegedly wanted a lawyer during the stand-off as well as travel documents so he could leave the country. Neither request was granted, according to the KISA head.
Police were not immediately available to corroborate the story.
Raising questions on the way police handled the matter, Polykarpou said: “If I trusted them (police) I wouldn’t have gone in.”
Sources have told the Cyprus Mail, the 41-year-old Egyptian man had links to the underworld.
According to police, the father injured his son with a knife wound to the neck that was 10cm long and 3cm deep, next to the carotid.
His wife, 36, from Hungary no longer lives there but is under the care of the social services along with the child who was discharged from the Makarios hospital in Nicosia on Wednesday.