AGLANDJIA and Larnaca Avenues residents are seeking compensation after a Nicosia court earlier this week annulled a government order for private land acquisitions from 16 owners, their lawyer Michalis Dilinos said on Friday.
A letter has already been sent to the town planning department after the court found the project which aims to widen the Aglandjia, Larnaca and Famagusta avenues from two to four lanes, violated the plaintiffs’ ownership rights as it is a permanent project and the owners had not been offered a “fair compensation.”
It calls on the department to cease work on properties that are affected by the court case and “we call for the restoration of items that have already been affected to their previous state and compensate the owners, otherwise we have a right to sue for illegal interference,” Dilinos said.
Owners will need to be compensated before the expropriated land is registered under the Republic of Cyprus, he added.
The 16 plaintiffs were among a number of property owners who saw their land expropriated by the government in November, as part of the redevelopment of the three arterial avenues.
According to Dilinos, in February, “the contractor invaded several houses and began work”.
The appeal was filed by 31 individuals, but only the appeals of 16 were accepted as the rest did not adequately justify how the redevelopment would affect them, the court ruling said. Dilinos said that there were other area property owners who did not appeal against the acquisition.