A man has claimed that it was not a 12-year-old boy who started the deadly fire that started in Evrychou on Sunday and spread to the Solea region, but his grandfather, who had been burning dry stubble for around an hour on Sunday before the blaze spread.
The man from Evrychou, who only gave his first name, Savvas, called a live news show on Mega television and claimed that the fire was started by the grandfather and not the 12-year-old, as the family had alleged.
Savvas also said that the boy’s father is a police officer and that the lie was deliberate to protect the elderly man from legal repercussions.
The man said the boy was with his grandfather who had been burning stubble for around an hour.
Reports said that police have already contacted the station asking for Savva’s contact details.