Transport Minister Marios Demetriades has requested a report into safety issues arising from Thursday’s fatal accident involving an OSEL Nicosia city bus, in which the driver died and ten more people were injured, an announcement said on Saturday.
On Thursday a 61-year-old bus driver, Sofronis Mylonas, died after he was ejected from the bus, while trying to avoid a car that had overtaken the vehicle and had slowed suddenly in front of it. The accident occurred in Archangelos in Nicosia.
Mylonas, who was not wearing a seatbelt as the bus did not have one, was hurled outside, smashing through the windshield and landing on the road where he was run over by the still-moving bus.
The out-of-control vehicle, with 13 passengers on board, veered into the metal road divider, smashing through it and crossing into the opposite lane, where it collided successively with four more cars before coming to a halt. Ten more people were injured, one of them critical.
It later transpired that no driver seatbelt had been installed on the bus. Police said after the end of 2007, all newly registered trucks and buses must have seatbelts fitted in the front seats, and drivers are obliged to wear them.
OSEL director Andreas Athanasiades had said that even though the particular type of buses had been imported new and licensed to carry passengers in urban areas, they had no seatbelts.
He added that every year, the buses go through annual inspections, but no seatbelts were fitted. The particular bus, he said, had passed the inspection a few days before the accident.