Cyprus Mail
Football Sport

Football round-up

David Moyes returns to England for the first time since his ill-fated spell with Manchester United and said he was eager to bring a winning mentality to the Stadium of Light

I’m in for the long haul at Sunderland, says Moyes
New Sunderland manager David Moyes has warned it will take time to transform the team from serial Premier League strugglers.

The former Everton and Manchester United boss is expecting a long-term building job to bring stability to the club, who have flirted with relegation for the past four seasons.

“You’re not going to change it in one transfer window,” he told the media on Monday. “We want to get the right players at the right price, players who will do their time with us, improve and make the team better.”

The 53-year-old signed a four-year contract at Sunderland, replacing new England manager Sam Allardyce, who guided the club to league safety in the second half of last season, eventually finishing fourth from bottom, two points clear of relegation.

The Scot returns to England for the first time since his ill-fated spell with Manchester United and said he was eager to bring a winning mentality to the Stadium of Light.

“You’ve got to remember where Sunderland have finished in the last few years, so this has now got to be a building job,” Moyes told reporters in his first press conference as Sunderland boss.

“I’m here for four years and I’m aiming to bring stability.”

Schalke confirm Sane in Manchester for City move talks
Leroy Sane has travelled to England ahead of a proposed move to Premier League club Manchester City, the German winger’s side Schalke have confirmed.

The 20-year-old, who has not travelled with the Bundesliga club for a training camp in Austria, scored eight goals and had six assists for Schalke last season as the club finished fifth in the league table.

The promising youngster had asked to leave Schalke, the club’s director confirmed last month

Conte unsure of Costa future, ponders new Hazard role

Chelsea striker Diego Costa
Chelsea striker Diego Costa
Chelsea manager Antonio Conte is uncertain about the future of Diego Costa, as Spanish media reports have linked the striker with a possible return to Atletico Madrid.

The 27-year-old, who joined the London club from Atletico in 2014, did not feature in Chelsea’s 3-2 defeat by Real Madrid in a pre-season friendly on Saturday due to a back injury.

The Spain international scored 12 times last season as the club finished 10th in the Premier League, with British media reports also linking Everton striker Romelu Lukaku with a potential move back to Stamford Bridge.

“Today Costa is Chelsea’s player. Tomorrow if you ask me if Costa will remain with us, I don’t know,” Conte told reporters.

“I can say that today Costa is a Chelsea player. He didn’t play in these games because of injury and if he solves the injury and I see in training he’s in good shape, it can be possible to see him in the next game against AC Milan.”

Conte also added that playmaker Eden Hazard needed to work on his physical strength and fitness to play as a forward, after the Belgian came off the bench to score twice in the friendly against Real Madrid.

“Eden Hazard played 30 minutes and he is recovering a good shape,” the Italian added.

“I like him in this position, like a forward, and he can be a good solution for us… also playing as a winger.

“To play as a second forward he must improve his shape but he is working and he knows his shape in the same way as the other players.”

Mahrez ‘distracted’ by transfer talk, says Ranieri
Speculation about a possible transfer to Premier League rivals Arsenal has unsettled Leicester City winger Riyad Mahrez, manager Claudio Ranieri has said.

The 25-year-old Algeria international, who signed from Ligue 2 side Le Havre in 2014, has become a hot property after scoring 17 league goals and winning the PFA Player of the Year during Leicester’s remarkable title-winning campaign.

Leicester have already had to fight off advances from Arsenal to keep striker Jamie Vardy, but lost midfielder N’Golo Kante to Chelsea for a reported fee of 32 million pounds ($42.38 million).

“Maybe Riyad is distracted a bit by all of these rumours and speculation,” Ranieri told British media. “But that is also an experience for my players. It is important that he understands that he should stay with us.

“He has to improve his fitness and play for the team as well as last season.”

Leicester, beaten 4-0 by French champions Paris St Germain in a friendly in California on Saturday, kick off their title defence with a trip to newly-promoted Hull City on Aug. 13.

Related posts

Anorthosis beat Olympiakos to win Cyprus Cup

Source: Cyprus News Agency

Tielemans stunner wins Leicester first FA Cup

Flamboyant Leeds turn on the style in 4-0 win at Burnley

Ibrahimovic to miss Euro 2020 due to knee injury

Press Association

Djokovic fights back to beat Tsitsipas at Italian Open

Press Association

Allardyce demands ‘ultimate professionalism’ from relegated West Brom