Cyprus Mail
Cyprus

Suspected burglars remanded for four days in Paphos (Update)

Paphos court

Two men were remanded for four days each by the Paphos court on Sunday on suspicion of possessing stolen goods and cash.

The men aged 42 and 36 were stopped by police on Saturday afternoon by traffic police while driving in the Mesoyi area. A search of their car revealed that the driver, 42, was in possession of €5,500 in notes of €500 while his passenger was in possession of €7,000 also in €500 banknotes.

Also, in the vehicle officers found a computer, two mobile phones, perfume and a pair of sunglasses. The two persons were arrested on suspicion of theft as they had no satisfactory explanation for possessing the items, police said.

At the same time a Paphos resident was reporting to police that their home had been burgled between 10am and 4pm on Saturday. The thieves had taken €12,500 in €500 banknotes as well as a computer and other items.

After the arrest of the pair, the owner was caled back to the police station and identified the items.

During investigations, police also discovered that the driving licence of the 42-year-old was fake, and that he was an illegal immigrant who had been deported in April this year.



Related posts

Public invited to help create new slogan for Paphos

Bejay Browne

Negotiator says Covid-19 holding UNSG back from Cyprus involvement

Peter Michael

Overseas tourists have shown interest in Cyprus this summer says Perdios

Jonathan Shkurko

Teens face murder charges in Sydney after Cypriot stabbed

Peter Michael

HIO says second phase of Gesy will be difficult to manage (updated)

Gina Agapiou

Coronavirus: Labour ministry extends deadline for support scheme applications

Jonathan Shkurko

2 comments

Comments are closed.