Authorities have filed cases at the Famagusta district court against eight locals and foreign nationals suspected of being involved in last month’s attack inside a nightclub against employees of the company building the new Ayia Napa marina.
All eight defendants are employees of the ‘Soho’ nightclub in Ayia Napa where the fracas took place on September 30.
Employees of the marina company had reported that they were attacked by security staff at the club. The altercation resulted in 10 people from both sides suffering injuries.
Reports said that Naguib Sawiris, the Egyptian billionaire investor behind the company building the new Ayia Napa marina, was one of the injured in the incident, having gone to the club with around 40 people to celebrate the setting of the cornerstone of the new marina the next day.
Police said that the cases include charges of theft, assault, and causing grievous bodily harm against a 36-year-old man from Paralimni, a 24-year-old from Mosfiloti, three 25-year-olds from Ormidhia, Bulgaria, and Ayia Varvara, a Sotira man, 27, a 28-year-old from Lithuania, and a 29-year-old from Avgorou.
Seven of the men are also facing charges of working as security staff without having the required licence.
The club’s manager, 29, will be charged in connection with employing security staff who did not have a licence.
The names of the defendants were placed on the stop list and they were also ordered to hand over their travel documents.
They were released on bail ranging between €500 and €10,000.