Cyprus Mail
Cyprus

Mea culpa from CyBC after Akel blunder

CyBC

The Board of public broadcaster CyBC said on Wednesday it recognised the station’s mistake in interrupting live statements by Akel general secretary Andros Kyprianou during the parliamentary elections on Sunday night.

The board said it was taking all necessary measures to avoid similar incidents in the future.

Akel said on Monday it would boycott CyBC in retaliation for what it says was biased coverage, after the public broadcaster interrupted a live transmission of Kyprianou, who was about to give a statement on the elections, and moved instead to cover live comments by Disy chief Averof Neophytou from the election campaign headquarters of Nicos Nicolaides, who had just won the Limassol mayorship. This was despite the fact that CyBC had already broadcast statements by both Neophytou and Nicolaides, Akel said.

In a letter addressed to CyBC chairman Thanasis Tsokkos,  Akel spokesman Stefanos Stefanou had said party cadres have been instructed not to participate in any radio or television debates hosted by the station. The embargo would last until CyBC “has demonstrated clear signs that it is implementing a code of journalistic conduct”.

He had said that this was only the latest in a series of occasions where CyBC had engaged in slanted coverage, at the expense of Akel.

Related posts

All regulations are followed at Zenobia wreck, diving companies insist

Annette Chrysostomou

Four remanded after wild car chase in Paphos

Staff Reporter

Bringing our art the long road home

Lizzy Ioannidou

Hapless thieves throw away €2,000 still inside bag they snatched (Updated)

Staff Reporter

Flooded roads in Larnaca reopened, rains abate (Updated)

Staff Reporter

JRCC trains foreign officers in search and rescue techniques

Source: Cyprus News Agency

7 comments

Comments are closed.