A 40-year-old man received €1.1million in damages earlier this week after a road accident three years ago left him unable to work.
his lawyer Marinos Shambartas told the Cyprus Mail on Wednesday the pay-out was one of the largest ever awarded in Cyprus.
On January 6, 2014, the man, aged 37 at the time, was driving his motorbike and was hit by a car which did not stop at a stop sign.
As a result of the accident, the man is now dependent on medication and has to use a catheter and diapers for the rest of his life and is unable to work.
The case was filed in Nicosia district court and the damages were reached in an out-of-court settlement between Shambartas’ client and Atlantic Insurance, represented by L. Papaphillipou & CO.
“The damages were given to the injured man three years after the accident and is believed to be one the largest to have ever been given in relation to a personal injury after a road accident,” Shambartas said.
On the night of the accident, the man was taken to Nicosia general hospital where the court heard he suffered from a strong pain in his sides and stomach and numbness in his lower limbs and struggled to breathe.
By midnight on January 14 while still in hospital, he said he felt extreme pain and could not move his upper or lower limbs.
Following his request, he was transferred to Apollonion private hospital where he underwent a laminectomy and the removal of an epidural hematoma.
For the next six months, he was a patient in the paraplegics ward at Nicosia general hospital where he later became an outpatient receiving physiotherapy.
After being paralysed for a few months, although he regained movement in his lower limbs, the court heard he now suffers from irreversible damage.