The cabinet approved on Wednesday two support schemes with the total budget of almost €1m for enclaved farmers and fishermen.
According to Agriculture Minister, Nicos Kouyialis, the cabinet approved the €700,000 annual scheme aimed at supporting the enclaved farmers and fishermen and a new scheme whose budget is €250,000. The latter, Kouyialis said, is aimed at supporting families wishing to move to the north and begin farming activities, and at supporting famers under the age of 45 that currently live in the enclaved areas.
Earlier in the year Commissioner for Humanitarian Affairs, Fotis Fotiou, had said that there was increased interest from people from the Karpas peninsula in the north to resettle there and the government was seeking ways to encourage more to do the same.
The aim of the government, Fotiou had said, was to offer incentives to encourage more families to resettle in the area, from where Greek Cypriot residents refused to leave following the invasion although their number has fallen over the years.
Up until the first three months, 27 new applications for resettlement in Ayia Triada and Rizokarpaso were approved, as well as 150 applications for the Maronite villages of Kormakitis and Karpashia, while 100 more applications were pending for the return of individuals to the Maronite villages and 20 for Ayia Triada.