Cyprus Mail
Crime Cyprus

Court rejects defence motion in waste management trial

The Helector run waste-management plant in Koshi

The Nicosia criminal court on Wednesday rejected a request to terminate prosecution of two of the defendants in the waste management trial, claiming they had been tainted because an extradition order was issued on the wrong information.

The court said it was not within its jurisdiction to examine the legality of the Greek court’s decision to issue and execute a European arrest warrant against Theofanis Lolos, and Enviroplan S.A.

Defence lawyer Chris Triantafyllides had argued that the warrant was problematic because Cypriot authorities had given different information to their Greek counterparts than what is included in the charge sheet as regards the place where the alleged offences were committed.

The case concerns waste management company Helector, the operator of two landfills – one at Marathounda, Paphos, the other at Koshi, Larnaca –  which is alleged to have overcharged municipalities by reporting higher waste volumes while public officials looked the other way in return for backhanders.

The defendants are former Larnaca Mayor Andreas Louroudjiatis; Demetrios Patsalides (municipal employee); Michalis Pantis, Stelios Papadopoulos (civil servant), Antonis Kourouzides, Georgios Koullapis (pensioners); former head of the Paphos Sewerage Board Eftychios Malekkides; Nicholas Koullapis (doctor); Enviroplan S.A.; Lolos (chemical engineer); N.E Midoriaco Ltd; and Helector Cyprus Ltd.



Related posts

Coronavirus: 10 new cases recorded on Sunday

Katy Turner

Calls to speed up review of complaints against lawyers 

Evie Andreou

Police warn of traffic disruption during Greek president’s visit

Katy Turner

Teachers unions say discussion still needed on distance learning

Katy Turner

‘I love Lebanon as much as I love Cyprus’

George Eid CM Correspondent

Politicians remaining silent about art teacher so don’t lose votes says Archbishop

Katy Turner

8 comments

Comments are closed.