TWO men suspected of killing British tourist George Low in Cyprus last year, have been released without being charged, the victims’ family said, according to the Mirror Online.
Low was killed while on holiday in Ayia Napa on August 14 last year by Mehmet Akpinar, 22, and Sali Musa Ahmet, 43 who reportedly admitted to their involvement in the killing to Turkish Cypriot authorities in the north where they fled after the murder.
According to Mirror Online, both were allowed to leave north Cyprus without being charged though their whereabouts remain unknown.
Ahmet was reportedly released two weeks ago and Akpinar in January.
In a statement quoted by the tabloid, Low’s parents Martyn and Helen Low said they felt “totally let down by the authorities”.
“We fail to understand why Turkey would allow a Bulgarian citizen [Ahmet] suspected of murder to be set free in their own country instead of handing him over to the Bulgarian authorities to start the deportation process back to southern Cyprus to stand trial for the despicable and senseless act of violence against our son George and Ben, a lifelong friend.”
Ben Barker, had been seriously injured by the two suspects.
Both suspects were put on trial in the north by a Turkish military court on charges of illegally trespassing into a military zone, but not the murder.
Cyprus police issued arrest warrants for the two, but are still outstanding with authorities in the north refusing to hand them over.
The family had issued a petition to the UK and EU parliaments as well as UK prime minister Theresa May and foreign secretary Boris Johnson, urging them to exert pressure on Turkey to hand over the two accused men to stand trial for the murder and attempted murder of the two British citizens.