Plans for the development of the Larnaca port and marina are on track and proposals by the three shortlisted tenders are expected to be submitted next month, Larnaca Mayor Andreas Vyras said on Wednesday.
“We expect the proposals to be for touristic and commercial development, and not for an energy hub,” he told the Cyprus Mail.
In total three consortiums/companies of the five that initially expressed interest were shortlisted in June to proceed to the next phase in the tender for the long-delayed development of Larnaca port and marina.
During the current phase, the three companies are getting acquainted with the details and terms of the tender so that they can proceed with submitting their proposals.
President Nicos Anastasiades said on July 21 that the next phase, the actual building, was expected to materialise next year. The development of the port and marina is expected to yield great benefits, he said, among them turning the area into “an attractive tourist destination”.
Efforts to develop Larnaca marina and port began in 2007 but the competition was cancelled in 2015, and was relaunched last year.
The idea is to develop and privatise the existing marina as well as the port situated right next to it. The aim is to make Larnaca marina the largest in Cyprus with around a thousand berths, including some for superyachts.
The plan specifies that the total area to be developed measures 510,000 square metres, which includes the port and marina as well as the surrounding area.