Attorney-general Costas Clerides said Friday there were no grounds for an investigation into the possibility of the president committing a criminal offence when he sent journalists and other people various documents relating to the Cyprus talks.
The issue emerged after it transpired that the documents had been stamped as classified, raising questions about the legality of the president’s action.
Hounded by the opposition, Anastasiades said the documents he sent last week were not really confidential but were graded as such by himself because they were exclusively for the use of the recipients.
Anastasiades rejected suggestions he had committed an offence, saying he sent the file, whose purpose was to inform the recipients, following criticism from the Greek Cypriot side that he was also to blame for the collapse of the talks.
In a written statement on Friday, Clerides said “under the circumstances, launching a procedure to investigate the possibility of the commission of a criminal offence … is not justified.”
Clerides added that it was not his role nor did he have the authority to examine and voice an opinion on whether the actions of state officials or politicians were correct and appropriate.
“And certainly not to intervene in political rows relating to the handling of the Cyprus problem,” the statement said.