Cyprus Mail
Cyprus

North search for Gulen supporters to start soon

Fethullah Gulen, whom Tayyip Erdogan believes was behind the attempted 'judicial coup'

Operations to root out supporters of US-based Turkish cleric Fetullah Gulen in the north are due to begin in earnest now that the Muslim holiday of Bayram is over, Turkish Cypriot press reported on Tuesday.

Turkey has labelled Gulen supporters terrorists under the name Feto. Ankara has accused Gulen of being behind the failed July 2016 coup for which thousands of people have been arrested in Turkey, judges, teachers, public servants, police and military.

Turkish Cypriot media said on Tuesday that three people arrested in the north so far have been released. Fifty-three policemen were also suspended for alleged Gulen ties.

However, there was a list consisting of 300 persons alleged to have ties to the organisation that has been put before ‘prime minister’ Huseyin Ozgurgun and action is expected to be taken in the coming days, Detay newspaper said.

 



Related posts

People before profit, ombudswoman says in report on Dali asphalt plants

Peter Michael

Returned artworks to be exhibited from June 16

Evie Andreou

House passes shop-hours regulation back to govt

Andria Kades

House passes supplementary budget to cover employment schemes (Update 2)

George Psyllides

Akinci asks for firefighting help, Anastasiades sends three aircraft  

Andria Kades

Patients’ group calls for overhaul of forensic medicine department

Gina Agapiou

17 comments

Comments are closed.