Cyprus Mail
Cyprus

Woman dies in apartment fire (updated)

File photo

The hob of a ceramic cooktop that was apparently left on unintentionally was the cause of the fire at an apartment in Limassol, which resulted in the death of a 50-year-old woman from asphyxiation, police said on Tuesday.

Christiana Pattihi was found unconscious in the bathroom by firefighters who had scrambled after the fire broke out at around 2.30am. She had no external injuries or burns, Limassol CID chief Ioannis Soteriades said.

As a precaution, firefighters evacuated the entire apartment block.

The woman was rushed to hospital where doctors pronounced her dead on arrival.

Police believe the woman died from asphyxiation due to the thick smoke but the exact cause of death will be determined by a post-mortem.

Investigators said the fire started at the ceramic cooktop, which had been left on.

Related Posts

Paphos arrest for drugs and knife possession

Staff Reporter

Daily News Briefing

Staff Reporter

Upgrades to Kato Paphos port much-needed, says head of fishing association

Iole Damaskinos

The last performances of the year at Rialto

Eleni Philippou

Today’s Weather: Mostly clear, possibility of isolated rain on coast

Staff Reporter

Burglars caught on roof by Larnaca police

Staff Reporter

2 comments

Comments are closed.