THE Attorney-general has ordered a criminal investigation into the alleged beating of a soldier by his commanding officer.
In the meantime, the findings of an ongoing military inquiry into the incident would be handed over to the attorney-general’s office, the defence ministry said on Thursday.
In a statement, the ministry urged the public to wait for the outcome of the investigations “before jumping to conclusions.”
On Monday, the defence minister suspended an officer at a Limassol-based unit after allegations he assaulted a soldier under his command.
The 18-year old national guardsman was taken to Limassol general hospital on Monday morning with bruising to his left eye and injuries to the throat and head, reports said.
He claimed he had been attacked by his commander earlier in the day after he went to his office to ask for leave for a trip to Greece on Wednesday. He said he was trying to find photos of his air tickets on his mobile to show the commander when he was assaulted.
The officer denies the claims, saying it was instead the soldier who moved against him forcing other soldiers to intervene to subdue him.