Cyprus Mail
Cyprus

Paphos bus strike called off (updated)

Paphos buses will start running normally on Wednesday after the indefinite strike the company’s drivers started on Tuesday over unpaid salaries ended later in the day when the company reached an agreement with the transport ministry.

The indefinite strike by Osypa began at 6am on Tuesday after Monday’s talks between the transport ministry and the management of the company failed to achieve results and the employees said they had no other choice but to stage a strike.

The strike affected around 18,000 passengers including 6,000 students, thousands of tourists, a number of pensioners and people using buses to get to work.

The drivers held a three-hour warning strike last Friday over the delay in receiving their pay. It followed similar action for the same reason at the end of last month.

A total of €3.5 million has been overpaid to the Paphos company by the ministry and the two sides have agreed that this amount must be deducted from the state’s contribution to Osypa going forward.

While acknowledging the overpayments and the need for the money to be withheld, the company argued that it cannot be implemented in the winter period when use of public transport is less than in the summer months when tourists use the buses.


Related posts

State owes artists millions for works in public buildings

Lizzy Ioannidou

Tatar to discuss Akinci resignation Monday, Erdogan says he exceeded his limits (Update 2)

Jean Christou

The Rise of the Brefugees

CM Guest Columnist

Limassol police uncover homeless scam they say cost state at least €35,000 (Updated)

Jean Christou

Anastasiades hopes Cyprus’ ‘voice is heard loudly’ at EU Council

Jean Christou

Foreign minister leaves for Luxembourg, Turkey’s EEZ violations on agenda

Staff Reporter

3 comments

Comments are closed.