Cyprus Mail

Further arrest for Limassol murder (Updated)

File photo

A Latvian man arrested on Sunday in connection with the murder of Pontian Greek Ernesto Leonides, 47, on Thursday in Limassol was remanded for five days in court on Monday morning.

Police arrested the 36-year-old suspect when he was trying to leave from Paphos airport.

His car had allegedly been used by three other suspects, both before and during the murder.

A 32-year-old Latvian woman was also arrested on Monday afternoon.

In court the man claimed he had bought the vehicle from a car rental company run by a Georgian and two other men who have been in police custody since last week. Both were remanded for eight days on Friday.

The Latvian further claimed he lent the car to the man from whom he had bought it.

He then testified that he called the Georgian from the airport to see if something had happened to his car, and said he deleted the calls when he realised something bad might be involved.

The investigator explained that the car, a Range Rover, was seen on CCTV with the three people who are believed to have committed the murder in it on February 6 and 7, and in the tourist area of Germasoyia 20 minutes before the victim was shot.

Three people are wanted by police, a 25-year-old Russian who is the brother of the man already in custody, the 28-year-old Georgian the Latvian lent his vehicle to and a 57-year-old Georgian who is allegedly one of the people who ate with the victim and then left the scene.

According to the 25-year-old’s testimony the 32-year-old Latvian woman was instructed to take back the car used to transport Leonides.

Police are also looking for the details on the three killers and the second person who ate with Leonides.

Both the detained suspects have denied their involvement in the murder of Leonides, and claim they were only transporting the three other suspects to lunch.

The two men in custody have told authorities that they were at a restaurant next-door to the one where the murder occurred and that once they heard the shouting and gunshots they attempted to flee on foot, leaving the car at the scene. The car was then picked up by the woman who worked at the rental agency.

However, the suspects’ stories regarding their abandonment of the scene did not match, according to CNA, with the first saying they left on foot and returned home, and the other saying that he called the suspect’s brother to pick them up.

Related posts

State owes artists millions for works in public buildings

Lizzy Ioannidou

Tatar to discuss Akinci resignation Monday, Erdogan says he exceeded his limits (Update 2)

Jean Christou

The Rise of the Brefugees

CM Guest Columnist

Limassol police uncover homeless scam they say cost state at least €35,000 (Updated)

Jean Christou

Anastasiades hopes Cyprus’ ‘voice is heard loudly’ at EU Council

Jean Christou

Foreign minister leaves for Luxembourg, Turkey’s EEZ violations on agenda

Staff Reporter

1 comment

Comments are closed.