A planned strike by doctors will go ahead as planned on Wednesday, while Health Minister Constantinos Ioannou met the Cyprus medical association on Tuesday to discuss the quality of healthcare.
The strike is set to begin at 10am and last for two hours. The health ministry called on the public not to go to state hospitals for appointments and apologised for the difficulty this was bound to cause.
Hospitals will be working with skeleton staff for emergency procedures.
State doctors union Pasyki announced the strike over the arrest of two doctors in connection with the death of a 10-year-old student in Larnaca last week.
The health ministry said it appears to be a case of medical negligence as the boy was first taken to the hospital, underwent an X-ray but was then sent home without a radiologist seeing the scans or a head CT being carried out, thus leaving the boy’s haematoma unnoticed and untreated.
A few hours later, the boy was taken back to the hospital in Larnaca but was transferred to Nicosia general hospital only to die in surgery.
Pasyki said authorities were trying to shift responsibility away from the terrible state of hospitals and blaming doctors.
Tuesday’s meeting between Ioannou, the Cyprus medical association and doctor’s branch of Pasydy civil servants union, had been arranged prior to the incident.
The meeting lasted over two hours however no statements were made at the end of it.
On the agenda was the quality of healthcare in Cyprus.