Three men are to stand trial on suspicion of participating in the bombing of a car belonging to the mother of the mayor of Paphos last Christmas.
The trial is scheduled to begin before the Paphos criminal court on June 29.
The three suspects are aged 20, 26 and 30.
According to the police, the 26-year-old is the person suspected of planting the explosive device underneath the car, which was destroyed by the blast.
Police got a lead on the man from an informant. The 26-year-old is facing charges of destruction of property using explosives. He was the first to be arrested.
The other two suspects will be facing charges of acting as accessories after the fact.
Unlike the 26-year-old, they have been released with restrictions pending the trial.
According to testimony heard earlier in court, the informant told police that a few days before Christmas 2017, the 26-year-old told him he was planning to plant a bomb but did not elaborate.
Late on Christmas Eve, the 26-year-old visited the informant at home in Peyia, where he stayed the night.
The next day he asked the informant whether he had seen in the news what they had done the previous day, police told the court.
The informant said he didn’t and the suspect replied “we planted the bomb at the government official’s mother (car).”
The suspect also told the informant that he had five more ready bombs in his possession but did not say what the targets were.
Paphos mayor Phedonas Phedonos later urged the police to take the lead in fighting organized crime, arguing that for years nothing was done, resulting in gangs raking in millions from drugs.
The mayor said it was obvious police knew who was behind the crime rings but did not take action in time – either because of inadequacy or because they were in cahoots with the underworld.