Cyprus Mail
Rugby

Montpellier pair withdraw from Springbok squad

File photo: South Africa's Bismarck du Plessis during training

Both Bismarck du Plessis and Frans Steyn have withdrawn from South Africa’s squad for the three-test series against England after injuries suffered in the French Top 14 final at the weekend, SA Rugby said on Wednesday.

“Both went for further investigations and specialist opinions and it was decided to rather withdraw them from the Springbok squad for the series against England,” a statement said.

No details of their injuries were given.

Both Du Plessis and Steyn played the full match as their Montpellier side were beaten 29-13 by Castres at the Stade de France on Saturday.

Du Plessis, 34, was set to make his first appearance for the Springboks since the 2015 World Cup, recalled to fill the void left by the injury to hooker Malcolm Marx.

Steyn, 31, had also been expected to start at inside centre, although new South Africa coach Rassie Erasmus had previously said on Monday that neither would be considered for Saturday’s first test at Ellis Park in Johannesburg because they were late in joining the squad after the completion of the season in France.

Related posts

Van Dijk determined to keep feet on ground after ‘special’ win

Press Association

Ronaldo’s fitness and attitude both under the spotlight

Reuters News Service

Mani’s century keeps College top of the class

Press Release

Omonia join Anorthosis at the top, big game ends in draw

Iacovos Constantinou

Djokovic thrashes Berrettini, Thiem stuns Federer

Reuters News Service

Liverpool go eight points clear with victory over Man City

Reuters News Service