There is nothing to report on the arrival of a UN envoy to probe the possibility of the recommencement of the talks, a government source said on Thursday.
The statement followed reports that the United Nations Secretariat has approached both sides in Cyprus regarding Jane Holl Lute’s visit to Nicosia between July 9 and 12, as the Secretary-General’s personal envoy to probe the potential resumption of the settlement talks.
But a government source said they know nothing about it.
“We know nothing relevant,” the government source told the Cyprus News Agency, adding that Turkey has yet to give the green light for the arrival of Lute.
“We were not informed of anything,” the source said.
The CNA had reported earlier in the day, that despite the UN’s refusal to confirm the UN Secretary-General’s intention to appoint Lute for the exploratory contacts with both sides, the guarantor powers, the EU and possibly others, a well-informed source within the UN, said that the Secretariat approached the two sides to hold a visit to Nicosia from July 9 to 12.
Prior to that, Spokesman for the Secretary-General, Stephane Dujarric, asked to comment on a statement made by President Nicos Anastasiades, who had expressed hope that a UN envoy would begin exploratory contacts on Cyprus after the Turkish elections on June 24, he said: “Look, two things are critical in the naming of an envoy: The envoy and the timing. And when we feel the time is right on both, we will move ahead.”
The UN Secretary-General’s report on his good offices is to be submitted by June 15, in it is expected to cite some specific information both on what happened after September 28,2017 when he presented his latest report as well as his intentions in the near future, CNA said.
A UN backed Conference on Cyprus last summer in the Swiss resort of Crans -Montana aiming to reunify the island under a federal roof ended inconclusively.