A temporary casino in Limassol is set to open its doors to the public on June 28 after receiving its licence earlier this week, it was announced on Friday.
Speaking during the ground breaking ceremony for the casino resort set to be built in Zakaki, Limassol, chairman and CEO of Melco Group Lawrence Ho said that a temporary or ‘pop up’ casino would be ready for operation on June 28.
Located on Roosevelt Avenue, the temporary casino has already hired 593 employees of which three quarters are Cypriot.
Around one per cent are from non EU countries such as South Africa.
The temporary casino will operate 24 hours a day, seven days a week and will be housed in the building that was formerly an Orphanides supermarket.
With a total floor area spanning 4,600 square metres, the gaming area takes up 1,300 square metres and includes 33 tables and 242 slot machines. A separate VIP gaming area has also been created.
Showing members of the press around the casino, president of the integrated casino property Craig Ballantyne told reporters the site has a capacity for about 1,200 people, and is set to attract about 25,000 people per month.
The temporary casino also has a restaurant and two bars.
According to Ballantyne, €12 million has been spent on the temporary casino, which will close down in 2021 when the integrated casino resort is expected to open its doors.
All personnel will be transferred to the resort.