Transport Minister Vassiliki Anastassiadou said she has given instructions for road works to stop on Fridays and on weekends after congestion observed on Friday on the Nicosia Limassol motorway due to works.
In a tweet late on Friday, the minister apologised for the hardship experienced by motorists due to the road works being carried out at the motorway.
“Instructions have been given for their immediate termination and for compliance with the standing directive that road improvement works should not be carried out Friday, Saturday and Sunday,” Anastassiadou said.
Disy leader Averof Neophytou, who got stuck in traffic on Friday, said in a tweet that it was unacceptable for citizens to go through such hardship due to “inadequacy of the public works department.”
“How difficult is it to think that you simply don’t close down lanes of the Nicosia to Limassol road on a Friday in the summer, when almost all of Nicosia escapes to the beaches,” Neophytou tweeted.
He also posted photos of the congestion.
The public works department said on Friday that in Limassol, the right lane from Ayia Thekla street to Siafis street will be closed until July 7 because of roadworks linking the coast road with Franklin Roosevelt Avenue.
While the road is closed to traffic the antiquities department will carry out excavations.
Last week, it also announced that between June 18 and July 3 between 7pm and 6am – except Saturdays and Sundays – works will be carried out for improvement in the tarmac of the Nicosia to Limassol motorway, from the GSP stadium up to Alambra.
During the works, the two lanes will be closed in one direction only, in sections of around 1,000 metres in length. The traffic will be channelled accordingly to the left or right lane, the department said.
The public can check for more information at the website www.traffic4cyprus.org.cy.