Cyprus Mail

Water sports operators say accident vessel was not a rental

An investigator in the area on Thursday (CNA)

The bases on Friday towed a boat which overturned earlier this week in Xylofagou causing a 60-year-old woman to drown, out of the water as part of investigations into the circumstances of the accident.

The boat was to be transferred to the Dhekelia police station.

Dhekelia deputy police chief, Andreas Pitsillides, said that investigations will continue both by the Dhekelia police and the merchant shipping department of the Republic of Cyprus to shed light on the conditions of the accident.

He said that they will continue taking testimonies.

Niki Christofidi from Lythrodonta was found dead on Xylofagou’s shore on Wednesday after a boat she was in with her husband, son and two relatives capsized after it filled with water.

Her husband and son swam to shore while the other two were rescued by a helicopter.

A post mortem revealed Christofidi died from asphyxiation as a result of drowning.

A senior marine inspector has been appointed by the deputy shipping minister to investigate the accident which took place on bases territory.

Earlier on Friday, the water sports association, wanting to set the record straight, said all members worked in close cooperation with all relevant authorities for the safe use and rental of boats so all the necessary precautions could be taken to avoid accidents.

Extending their condolences to the family of Christofidi, the association said the boat was not a rental, after some press reports suggested it may have been.

Related posts

Measures to crack down on illegal use of fireworks

Lizzy Ioannidou

Works at oldest secondary school to maintain its character

Lizzy Ioannidou

€5m paid to presidential, ministerial advisors last year

Lizzy Ioannidou

Farmers say storms wiped out one year of labour

Lizzy Ioannidou

ECHR to examine Varosha cases in November

Elias Hazou

German woman seeks Cypriot father

Staff Reporter