Cyprus Mail
Asia

Duterte says may deploy warship to save Filipino captives in Libya

Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte

Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte said on Friday he might send the navy’s most modern frigate to waters off Libya in a bid to “save” three Filipinos and a South Korean kidnapped last month from a water plant in the north African country.

South Korea has redirected a vessel taking part in anti-piracy operations in the Gulf of Aden to help in the release of the four men taken almost a month ago, according to news agency Yonhap.

Duterte said he might do the same and would raise the issue next week at a regular meeting of his top military and police commanders.

“If they start hurting those three Filipinos, I will bring a frigate there, I am not kidding,” he said in a speech.

The men were taken near Ishwirif by an unknown armed group.

Video footage appeared on social media this week of the four men confirming their names and nationalities and appealing to their presidents for help.

Various armed groups, including Islamist militants linked to al Qaeda and Islamic State, have a presence in Libya. Risks for foreign workers have been high due to insecurity in much of the country in the years following a 2011 uprising.


Related posts

Greek island mayors press government to lighten migrants overload

Reuters News Service

Lebanon seeking $4bln-$5bln in loans for wheat, fuel, medicine

Reuters News Service

Canadian air tanker fighting Australia bushfires crashes, killing three

Reuters News Service

Seattle shooting leaves 1 dead, 7 wounded; suspects at large

Reuters News Service

China locks down two cities, WHO to decide today whether to declare health emergency

Reuters News Service

Boeing CEO says he expects to resume 737 MAX production before mid-year

Reuters News Service