Cyprus Mail
Guest ColumnistOpinion

Property questions: How to stop neighbour’s water run off?

My neighbour has raised his entire land by a metre or so, the result of this means water now runs off his land and comes into my land whenever he waters his trees. Added to this, he empties his sewerage water on to his land.

I have fruit trees and vines too, three have recently died and I am worried that his sewage water may be contaminating my land.

So the two questions are, is it legal to raise a land of approximately 2,000 square metres by 1 metre without planning permission?

And what can I do legally about the run off water?

I tried to talk to him about it but he just says don’t be silly, and doesn’t take my issues seriously.
I’d appreciate your advice.

Kind regards


He must have secured a planning permit and in order to have this case examined you should report your concerns to the local authority/municipality. If they do not respond you could pay a visit to the Planning Office of the area. What I can say is that he cannot empty sewage water as it is a health hazard.
AP Loizou

Related Posts

Our View: VIP prisoners, a utopian central prison – is this really the way to go?

CM: Our View

What The Queue says about Englishness

The Conversation

Our View: Government should not have thrown in the towel at airports over ‘petty politics’

CM: Our View

In praise of all the unsung heroes

Paul Lambis

Is Putin bluffing about nukes?

Gwynne Dyer

Very few turtle nests at Lady’s Mile amid increasing human activity

CM Guest Columnist