Cyprus Mail
World

Hundreds of thousands without power as cyclone slams eastern India

A cyclone slammed into India’s eastern seaboard on Thursday, destroying huts, uprooting trees, snapping power lines and telephone poles, leaving hundreds of thousands without power.

Heavy winds were likely to cause a storm surge and officials said they expected low-lying areas in the states of Odisha and Andhra Pradesh to be inundated.

Tropical cyclone “Titli,” with gusts of up to 165 kph (100 mph), made landfall in the Srikakulam district of Andhra Pradesh in the early hours, the India Meteorological Department said.



Cyclone Titli made landfall in the Indian state of Odisha on Thursday, October 11, lashing the region with high winds and heavy rain. This video shows the storm hitting the city of Brahmapur in Odisha. Residents have been evacuated from at least five coastal districts in the state, while schools were closed in four districts because of the cyclone, NDTV reported. Credit: NiteshFanaaS via Storyful


There were no immediate reports of deaths, but the storm wreaked havoc on infrastructure, blocking roads and hampering emergency work.

“We fear 6,000-7,000 electricity poles may have been uprooted,” K. Dhananjaya Reddy, district administrative chief of Srikakulam, told Reuters. “Around 400,000 to 500,000 people are now without electricity.”

TV footage showed tin roofs of several houses being blown away.

“The storm has caused heavy to very heavy rainfall in some districts of Odisha, damage to houses, street lights and roadblocks due to fallen trees,” said Special Relief Commissioner Bishnupada Sethi. “We are still assessing the damage and roadblocks are being cleared.”

The Bay of Bengal often witnesses cyclones at this time of year, with some causing widespread death and destruction. Odisha was hit last month by a low-intensity storm.

Officials in Odisha evacuated more than 300,000 people, suspended operations at the port of Paradip and cancelled many trains and flights on Wednesday.

The Odisha Chief Minister’s office in a tweet on Wednesday said schools and colleges across the state would remain closed for the week.

“Operations at Paradip have been suspended and all ships have been shifted to deep sea,” the Deputy Conservator of Paradip Port, Captain A.K. Mohapatra, told Reuters.


Related posts

Indian rape victim dies in hospital after being set ablaze

Reuters News Service

Giant fire near Sydney may burn for weeks as people struggle to breathe

Reuters News Service

Trump asks Supreme Court to stop banks from disclosing his financial data

Reuters News Service

Merkel expresses ‘shame’ during Auschwitz visit, vows to fight anti-Semitism

Reuters News Service

Turkey condemns Greek expulsion of Libyan ambassador over accord (Updated)

Reuters News Service

Italy’s Salvini shuns Nutella after he finds out it contains Turkish nuts

Reuters News Service