Around 2,500 applications for the Guraranteed Minimum Income (GMI) have been received in the past few months, most involving people who have applied at least once before and have been rejected, the ministry of labour announced on Tuesday.
They were refused because they didn’t meet the criteria of the legislation for receiving the money, the ministry said.
The statement was issued after it was reported earlier in the day that the number exceeded 6,000.
According to the announcement, “requests for GMI, prior to their approval or rejection, are subject to thorough scrutiny under the legislation, with particular emphasis on integrating all job-seekers into the labour market.
“Therefore, when examining applications submitted by unemployed people who are capable of working, priority should be given to finding and referring those persons to suitable jobs before a further examination of the application for providing them with the GMI.”
The labour ministry said the application procedure was made after consulting the internal audit service and the ministry is continuing to cooperate with the service aiming to improve the procedures.
“Many of the proposed amendments have already been implemented,” the announcement concluded.