Cyprus Mail
CrimeCyprus

Three men remanded in suspected gangland shooting

The 57-year-old's car at the scene of the shooting in Nicosia

Three men were remanded in custody for eight days on Wednesday in connection with what seems to be a failed gangland hit against the life of a 57-year-old man in Nicosia on Monday evening.

The three, 34 and 28 and 32, were initially arrested in Nicosia by the drug squad on suspicion of possession of stolen property after they failed to provide satisfactory explanations about the scooter found in their possession.

Police said the scooter had not been reported stolen and none of the three suspects appeared to be the owner.

The vehicle appears to be similar to the one used by two individuals who fired five shots at Nicos Rodotheou at around 11pm on Monday.

He was on Ethnikis Frouras Street when the assailants fired five shots at the rear of his Porsche Cayenne at around 11pm. None of the shots hit Rodotheou and the assailants left the area.

They were arrested on Tuesday afternoon by drug squad officers who had been following two cars in Pallouriotissa, not very far from the scene of the shooting.

The cars drove into an apartment block basement and after a while one of the suspects came out riding a white scooter while the two others were helping him.

 

Related Posts

Russian sanctions cost Cyprus 20% of oil tanker fleet

Elias Hazou

Petrides welcomes findings of Eurgroup’s post-programme surveillance report on Cyprus

Bounced cheques on the rise

Staff Reporter

Education minister defends twice yearly exams, says criticisms are not justified

Nikolaos Prakas

Turning the spotlight on craftspeople of Germany and Cyprus

Eleni Philippou

Endless delays to phone blocking in prisons

Elias Hazou