Cyprus Mail
Americas Middle East World

Iran says US presence in Syria was a mistake from the start

US President Donald Trump talks to reporters as he signs the Iraq and Syria Genocide Relief and Accountability Act of 2018 in the Oval Office of the White House in Washington, US, December 11, 2018

Iran said that the US military presence in Syria had been “a mistake, illogical and a source of tension”, in Tehran’s first reaction to President Donald Trump’s planned pull-out.

Trump has begun what will be a total withdrawal of US troops from Syria, saying on Wednesday they had succeeded in their mission to defeat Islamic State and were no longer needed in the country.

“From the start, the entry and presence of American forces in the region has been a mistake, illogical and a source of tension, and a main cause of instability,” Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesman Bahram Qasemi was quoted as saying by state media on Saturday.

Trump said in a tweet on Thursday that “Russia, Iran, Syria & many others are not happy” about the planned US withdrawal.

Iran, a key supporter of President Bashar al-Assad in Syria’s civil war, has sent military “advisers” as well as military equipment and regional Shi’ite militias to fight anti-government groups.

Tehran has opposed the presence of foreign forces in Syria, except those — from Iran and Russia — which have been invited by the Assad government.

Related Posts

Blinken warns Chinese leaders over Taiwan as global crises mount

Reuters News Service

Boy who survived gondola crash returns to Italy after custody battle

Reuters News Service

Parents of Michigan teen in school shooting charged with manslaughter

Reuters News Service

Biden says putting together comprehensive plan in Russia-Ukraine crisis

Reuters News Service

Italian anti-vaxxer tries to get Covid-19 jab in fake arm

Reuters News Service

Conspiracy theories take root in Italy, survey shows

Reuters News Service