Cyprus Mail
Crime Cyprus

Two charged and released in connection to Xylophagou rioting (Updated)

Two individuals, 15 and 21, were charged in writing on Friday and released in connection with rioting and car arson earl on New Year’s Day, police said.

Famagusta police arrested the two on Thursday afternoon, bringing the total number of arrests to eight for the incident.

Officers responded to a public disturbance call just after midnight on Tuesday in Xylophagou, where youths had assembled with their cars.

At the appearance of the police, the youths started throwing stones at them, damaging police vehicles.

Police on Wednesday arrested two 15-year-old males on suspicion of taking part in the incident. Officers later arrested three more individuals, aged 21 and 16, in connection with car theft and arson.

The car had been stolen at around 11pm on Monday while parked outside the home of its 27-year-old owner. It was taken while he was unloading stuff and had left the keys in the ignition, police said.

It was found burning some four hours later at the location where the youths had assembled earlier on Tuesday. The vehicle, estimated to be worth around €500, was destroyed.

 

 

Related Posts

TC ‘prime minister’ calls for more checkpoints

Nick Theodoulou

Anastasiades urges EU leaders to adopt targeted sanctions on Russia

Nick Theodoulou

TC party leader fined for ‘slandering’ Tatar

Elias Hazou

Edek leader meets Akel’s favoured candidate

Nick Theodoulou

Group exhibition celebrates 45 years of Gloria Gallery

Eleni Philippou

Total-ENI gas drilling underway in Cyprus’ block 6

Elias Hazou