Cyprus Mail
Cyprus

Paphos bus drivers accept deal, returning to work Monday (Updated)

Photo: CNA

Paphos bus company Osypa employees on Sunday voted to accept a deal agreed between the transport ministry and the company that would see them return to work on Monday.

Christos Evangelou, a representative of the drivers said at the end of the meeting they had decided to suspend their long-running strike over pay.

According to Evangelou, the payroll will be paid by the transport ministry to the 200 employees by February 10. There were still some small outstanding issues he said could be resolved but if no solutions were definitively found by February 10, he warned of new measures.

In his statements Petros Demosthenous, district secretary for Sek union said everything would return to normal by Monday and apologised to the public for the prolonged strike action.

At 11am Sunday the employees were briefed on the deal by the director-general of the ministry Stavros Michael and the director of Osypa Georgios Ioannides at the offices of the company in Mesogi in the presence of the unions.

Demosthenous said the company’s relations with the transport ministry were on a good footing and he didn’t foresee and obstacles.

The ministry, he said had undertaken payment of the employees both for December and January by February 10.

The vast majority of striking bus drivers had already accepted Transport Minister Vasiliki Anastasiadou’s mediation proposal which saw the ministry on Tuesday seek to hire buses to operate in Paphos until February 10.

 

X