Cyprus Mail
Asia

China deletes ‘malicious’ mobile apps

Icons of WeChat and Weibo apps on a smartphone

China’s cyber watchdog said on Thursday it has deleted close to 8,000 “malicious” mobile apps, as regulators step up efforts to tighten control over the country’s internet.

The Cyberspace Administration of China (CAC) said in a statement it had ordered telecom operators to shut down the services of 7,873 apps after finding they had overcharged and cheated users as well as stolen information.

It launched the campaign in September with other Chinese government ministries to target “malicious mobile apps that infringe on users’ rights”, the agency said.

Among the apps targeted by the agency was a Chinese version of “Fruit Ninja”, which caused economic losses to users by tricking them into signing up to unwanted fee-based services, the agency said.

There are three games named “Fruit Ninja” registered with China’s publishing regulator and it was unclear which one was deleted by the CAC.

A game with the same name was previously launched by iDreamSky and distributed by Tencent in 2013. However it was later removed from all channels in 2016, according to iDreamSky.

Other games such as “Bathroom Goddess” and “Naughty Housemaid” that were developed and published by other firms committed “online hooligan activities” like information theft, spamming, and forced downloads.

China’s video game market, the world‘s largest, has been under strict scrutiny since last year when authorities stopped approving new titles for almost a year. It recently resumed approvals but industry leaders Tencent and NetEase have yet to receive any.

Political control of the internet has also tightened under President Xi Jinping, an effort that has accelerated since 2016 as the ruling Communist Party seeks to crack down on dissent on social media.

The CAC on Wednesday said it had deleted more than 7 million pieces of online information as well as 9,382 mobile apps, and criticised a news app run by Tencent for spreading “vulgar and low-brow information.



Related posts

Court rules Trump can withhold funds from ‘sanctuary’ jurisdictions

Reuters News Service

India’s Modi appeals for calm as riot toll rises to 20

Reuters News Service

Egypt holds funeral for former president Mubarak

Reuters News Service

Pope to Catholics: For Lent, give up trolling

Reuters News Service

Turkey will drive Syrian forces back from Idlib posts this week – Erdogan

Reuters News Service

‘Call me Harry,’ says informal UK prince as he starts last round of royal duties (Updated)

Reuters News Service