Since Friday there have been no new serious incidents of type A influenza, Head of the Infectious Disease Surveillance Unit of the health ministry, Maria Koliou, announced on Monday.
She confirmed that a number of people were still hospitalised at state facilities with the flu, some of them still serious.
Some patients are in intensive care units, one in Larnaca and two each in Paphos and Limassol, but nobody in Nicosia.
“The important thing is that we have no new serious incidents,” Koliou said. “Cases are confirmed and hospitalised and some of them are still serious. But it is very important that we did not have new serious incidents.”
Since December 1 last year, 43 serious cases have been registered, and seven people have died. Serious cases are reported to the health ministry by both private clinics and public hospitals, the official explained.
Asked whether the situation was improving, she said would be confirmed next week, but for now, numbers were down.
Last week she said she believed since influenza started early this winter, it would end early.
Also another 5,000 influenza vaccines were due to arrive by the end of the week, but there were still around 400 to 500 available should members of vulnerable groups need them, she also announced.
The vaccines are considered a solution for vulnerable groups only and not for the wider population.
Head of the A&E department Andreas Eliades confirmed that fewer people were now flocking to the first aid departments and there were no serious cases since Friday, and none involving children.
Fear and panic over misinformation about the outbreak of influenza has been clogging public hospitals, limiting their ability to respond to actual cases of flu, and exposing the non-infected to the risk of getting infected by other patients, Health Minister Constantinos Ioannou said on Friday.
It was the death on Thursday, of a 34-year-old man with no apparent underlying health conditions that created the most disquiet among the public. It also sparked an investigation by the health ministry, and highlighted the pressure under which hospitals were operating.
On Monday, the director of the medical services of the health ministry, Elisavet Constantinou, commented on the case, saying an investigation was in progress and expected to be completed by the end of the week.
“I will study all the facts before me and I then I will decide what to do,” she said.
Constantinou added she cannot make any other statements as police are also investigating the death since the man’s family have filed a complaint for medical negligence.