Cyprus Mail
Cyprus

Short circuit was cause of Latchi boat fire

File photo: Latchi harbour

A short-circuit caused the fire which destroyed a private yacht and extensively damaged a second one in Latsi on February 4.

The vessels were docked side by side when the fire broke out in one of the two in the morning.

The blaze erupted while its owner and technicians were onboard doing maintenance work.

Some €15,000 in cash which the owner had on the boat because he was going to pay the technicians also went up in flames.

Workers said they noticed smoke coming from the vicinity of the propeller and immediately disconnected the battery.

The fire spread quickly because of flammable materials kept on board, despite the efforts of the owner and the workers.

It was eventually put out by the fire service which, along with the ports authority, also took measures to prevent pollution of the sea.

The vessel was insured for €70,000.

The cause of the fire was determined after examinations were carried out by the fire services, the electromechanical services and the port authority.

Related posts

Thunderstorms cause flooding, fires, power outages

Peter Michael

Parents seek funds to help toddler son beat rare muscular disease

Peter Michael

UN envoy expected to visit in September

Staff Reporter

Russia says Kyrenia priest was never ordained by Russian Orthodox Church

Staff Reporter

Govt fires back at Akel over money laundering claims

Elias Hazou

Wanted man

Staff Reporter