The investigation launched by the health ministry after the death of a 34-year-old man from the flu earlier in February found that there were no administrative errors or oversights by staff of the Nicosia and Larnaca general hospitals, it emerged on Thursday.
The investigation was launched into any possible disciplinary misconduct by medical staff of the Larnaca general hospital, where the 34-year-old was initially admitted, and their Nicosia counterparts, where he was then transferred. The 34-year-old succumbed to his flu symptoms on February 6 with no apparent underlying health conditions, sparking disquiet among the public.
According to the health ministry, the investigation carried out by the director of the health ministry’s medical services Dr Elizabeth Constantinou concluded that staff at the Larnaca and Nicosia general hospitals conducted all necessary tests and medical interventions in due time.
Among other things the investigation consisted of the collection of statements as well as data from the A&E units where the 34-year-old was admitted for treatment.
Eliminating the possibility that misconduct on behalf of hospital staff played a role in the death of the 34-year-old, Constantinou found that hospital staff, including the on-duty A&E doctors and nurses as well as doctors in the intensive care unit, conducted their tasks appropriately.
On Wednesday, the number of flu-linked deaths this winter rose to 12, though all other cases showed serious underlying health problems.
Since December 1, 56 serious flu cases have been recorded, the ministry said.
The health ministry said that there was no cause for panic as very few people have ended up being treated in hospitals as serious incidents this year.