Cyprus Mail
Cyprus

Father of baby doctors thought was abused, is released without charge

Nicosia court

The man arrested in connection with the alleged sexual abuse of his five-month-old daughter was released on Monday without being charged.

The arrested man was brought before the Nicosia district court last week, which decided, in a closed-door hearing, to remand him for five days to facilitate police investigations.

However, following later instructions by the legal services which examined the case, it was decided not to renew the remand order. Social welfare services were instructed to continue to monitor the infant and her family.

The news of the alleged assault broke last Wednesday morning, sparking public shock and outrage.

The father was arrested following a visit to the Makarios children’s hospital in Nicosia last Tuesday where the mother had taken the infant after she noticed inflammation in her genital region.

She reportedly told police that she went to work and left the baby girl alone with her father. Upon her return, she noticed the inflammation, and the baby’s father said that she should take her to the hospital.

There, she was examined by three doctors, a paediatrician, a gynaecologist, and state pathologist Eleni Antoniou, all of whom concluded it appeared that she had been sexually abused.

While one hospital doctor publicly said it appeared the baby was a victim of rape, others disagreed saying she would have sustained serious injuries. A probe into the doctor’s comment has since been ordered by the health minister.

Related Posts

Roads to Troodos reopened to all vehicles

Gina Agapiou

Open lecture on social media’s link to rise of fascism

Staff Reporter

Christmas lights for Nicosia’s revamped Makarios avenue

Antigoni Pitta

Coronavirus: Change looming for self-isolation protocol on fully jabbed

Nick Theodoulou

Bids accepted for Limassol, Paphos bus service

Anna Savva

US honours Cyprus MP with anti-corruption award

Anna Savva